Sport Events Congress – A Sustainable Event!
In 2015, CSTA made a commitment to making Sport Events Congress a more sustainable event – environmentally, socially and economically. In 2016, CSTA continues to engage in a number of initiatives to help elevate its standard in creating a sustainable conference.
Here are a few examples of how Sport Events Congress is becoming a more sustainable event:
- Host Hotel – The Westin Ottawa participates in several initiatives to help provide sustainable meetings including adopting a “Leave Nothing Behind” Policy (conference planners and exhibitors), donating leftover food to a local shelter, offering a full sustainable menu and providing recycling receptacles in all meeting rooms. More on The Westin Ottawa’s sustainable meetings practices here.
- Printing – CSTA is using environmentally friendly materials and printing fewer hard copies of documents, including event schedules, handouts and reports.
- Gifting – CSTA’s delegate gift has a shelf life beyond the Congress.
- Travel – CSTA and the Government of Ontario has partnered with VIA Rail to offer train travel to and from Toronto for representatives from provincial sport organizations. VIA offers a responsible and ecological transportation option. Full details here.
- Event Volunteers – CSTA gives back to its community hosts by offering professional development and networking opportunities to local students through volunteer opportunities at the Congress.
- Speaker Gifts – in lieu of offering gifts to speakers, CSTA gives back to the local community by making a donation to a local youth/sports-related charity.
- Delegate Bag Inserts – Congress sponsors are placing less paper in the Congress bags and offering re-usable items.
Thanks to all of our delegates and partners who have helped the CSTA to make Sport Events Congress 2016 a sustainable event!